samba and usernames

Jeff Burson jeff.burson at humancode.com
Thu Feb 10 18:05:56 GMT 2000

Hello all,

I'm putting into production a samba server on rh6.1 with samba-2.0.5a-12
(installed via rpm).

The goal is to have windows 9x and nt 4.0 (sp5 and sp6) access
individual user directories on that server. The unix password file
matches username values as stored on our NT domain.

some of the globals:

security = server
password server = OURPDCNetBIOSNAME

under share functions:

    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    writable = yes

With one exception, everything works fine. Users can browser network
neighborhood to the server in question, doubleclick and their folder
pops up with their UNIX $HOME underneath. They can click into their
directory and do what they want.

(smbclient works as well).

Here's the one problem I'm running into. Usernames with character
lengths greater than 12 characters don't work under network neighborhood.

They do work under smbclient, but not Network neighborhood. They can
display their accessible folders:

server --->
	username
	xfers

but when they click on their username folder, it says Network Path not
found.

smbclient continues to work for these users. The problem is specific
to accessing the share from within NT (and probably windows 9x)

Looking thru the archives, I tried setting manually setting
protocol = NT1    and
protocol = LANMAN2

with no success.

I've contemplated username maps, but that seems ugly.

Any ideas?

jeff