smbmount/smbumount getting rid of dead connections

Douglas Eck deck at cs.indiana.edu
Thu Feb 10 15:46:05 GMT 2000

I've got a win98 laptop and a linux box. On my linux box, I smbmount
a directory from the laptop. Alas, win98 boxes
crash a lot, and I move the laptop a lot... to and from work.
If the laptop crashes or if I move it with a shared directory mounted
on my linux box, that mount gets "Stuck".... it's
present in /etc/mtab but when I cd to it and do an ls it says:

  243 emily ~>ls sushi
  ls: sushi: Input/output error

For the life of me I can't figure out how to unmount it:

  emily ~>smbumount sushi
  Could not open sushi: Input/output error

  255 emily ~>rm -rf sushi
  rm: sushi: Input/output error

Some various background info. First, I now have smbmount 2.0.5a.
I asked a similar question a couple of weeks ago, but I had 1.9.x
loaded...

249 emily ~>smbmount
Usage: smbmount //server/share mountpoint [options ...]
Version 2.0.5a

252 emily ~>smbd -V
Version 2.0.5a

244 emily ~>cat /etc/mtab
/dev/hda4 / ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
proc /proc proc rw 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,gid=5,mode=620 0 0
/dev/hda5 /boot ext2 rw,errors=remount-ro 0 0
/dev/hdb1 /win98 vfat
rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,gid=101,uid=1000,errors=remount-ro 0 0
//sushi/doug /home/deck/sushi smbfs  0 0

Any help is appreciated,
Doug