modification time

Torsten Curdt tcurdt at dff.st
Tue Feb 8 09:28:19 GMT 2000

>On Tue, 8 Feb 2000 01:48:05 +1100, hai scritto:
>>When I copy an old file to a share the motification
>>time is not changed. Ok, the file has not been
>>modified but since it is new to this share I like
>>to change it's time to the copy time!
>What happens if you copy files on a win share?
>If samba changed the time when you copy a file then it would be a bug,
>and actually samba had this problem with nt machines, but it has been
>solved :-)

Well, you call it a bug... I call it a feature ;)
No, really... I just like to have an option for that
reason why - much of syncing problem:

We have two directories that we are keeping in sync (rsync).
Now we have a file named 'something' on both directories.
If I now replace this file 'something' with an older version
(copy into one of the directories kept in sync) only the
lastest will survive.
You see, this copy should change the modification time and
make the copied file the latest version surviving the syncing!

But since you called it a bug I guess there's no option
for something like that, hm? ;)

Any ideas to fix this problem otherwise?
--
Torsten