vmware, host-only network can't browse??

Jim Priest priest at thecrumb.com
Sun Feb 6 15:52:26 GMT 2000

>Date:   Sat, 5 Feb 2000 12:51:58 -0800
>From:   John Salmon <jsalmon at gw.thesalmons.org>
>Subject: vmware, host-only network can't browse??

>Problem:  'Unable to browse the network'
>
>BUT if I just log in to Windows normally, the Network Neighborhood has
>no entries and clicking on 'Entire Network' brings up an 'Unable to
>browse the network' error.

You have a problem with your Windows network config - I don't think it has
anything to do with your Samba config.  In Network Neighborhood - your own
box should show up if nothing else...  In my experience Samba was easy -
getting Windows working right was the chore...

I found this document in the Samba guide extremely helpful in
troubleshooting my W98/Samba network setup...

http://us2.samba.org/samba/oreilly/using_samba/ch09_02.html

It starts at the simple stuff and works into more complex areas. Just go
through it slowly and make sure each step works as noted before proceeding...

Also - you might want to chop down your smb.conf file - use the KISS system
- 'Keep It Simple Stupid' :)   Use as few options as you need - you can
always add more later...

Good luck!
jim priest