Problem with %U and %G variables

Keith Muska kmuska at clementsmfg.com
Wed Feb 2 16:04:27 GMT 2000

I have a server running Samba 2.0.5a and RedHat 6.1. I am having a problem
with the %U and %G variables.  I have two lines in my smb.conf file that
read:
include = /home/samba/smb.conf.%U
include = /home/samba/smb.conf.%G
In the /home/samba directory I have a file for each user and their group.
For instance, I have a smb.conf.engineering file.  When someone from the
engineering group goes to the server from Network Neighborhood the shares
that are defined in the smb.conf.engineering file don't show up right away.
The shares that are defined in these files will show up after some time (5
minutes to 1/2 hour).  When I was trying to troubleshoot this problem I
turned off local master on the server and I made one of the Win95 machines
the browse master, rebooted the systems and the folders showed up
immediately. I set the server back to being the master and the problem came
back.  It appears that when the Samba server is acting as browse master it
has a problem resolving the %U and %G variables.
I am having this exact same problem with the following combinations:
RedHat 5.2 and Samba 1.9.18
RedHat 5.2 and Samba 2.0.5a
RedHat 6.1 and Samba 2.0.5a

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Keith Muska
Clements Manufacturing, L.L.C.
Phone: (810) 376-2215 Ext. 170