not listening

Clarence Brown clabrown at granitepost.com
Wed Feb 2 06:33:40 GMT 2000

Here's some more information on the not listening problem.

I cut the smb.conf down to almost nothing for testing, using a test
workgroup name instead of my existing NT domain:

[global]
	netbios name = SAMBA01
	workgroup = SAMBATEST
	security = user

[tmp]
	path = /tmp
	writeable = no

Then I tried to connect locally with "smbclient '\\SAMBA01\tmp' -U
<my_user_name>" (where <my_user_name> is replaced with my actual user name>.
I can connect locally.

>From an external WinNT machine I tried to connect with a "net use j:
\\samba01\tmp". It prompts for a password then I get an error 1240, user not
authorized to login from this station. Without a "hosts allow" or "hosts
deny", all external address should be allowed to connect right??

Next I tried adding the host of interest explicitly in hosts allow. Now I
still can't connect from the external host, but I also can't connect from
the local machine with smbclient either. that produces the following error
output:I get the (the ###s in ip addresses are actually the correct ip
addresses)

added interface ip=###.###.###.132 bcast=###.###.###.###
nmask=###.###.###.###
Got a positive name query response from ###.###.###.132 (###.###.###.132)
session request to SAMBA01 failed (Not listening for calling name)
Got a positive name query response from ###.###.###.132 (###.###.###.132)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Not listening for calling name)

Next I tried adding "hosts allow = 127." as shown in some examples, but the
local host still could not connect to itself.

Finally I added the full ip for the local host, and then it could connect to
itself. At this point I could also run swat from the allowed remote
machines, but not connect them with a net use command, but I could connect
from the local machine with the smbclient.

Assuming that the swat help is correct, this seems to indicate a generic
problem that might have some bearing on getting the same error while trying
to integrate Samba into my NT Domain. It may be something wrong with my
basic machine configuration, not involving Samba at all?

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Cla.