More strange happenings with my LAN.

Andrew Bruno abruno at zeta.org.au
Sun Dec 31 04:29:50 GMT 2000

Hi again to you all,

Late yesterday I got half my LAN working as I could access my Amiga drives
from my PeeCee.

I could not go the other way at that point.

Today I was trying to do it and found some interesting things happening to
me, and at one point the connection I did have didn't work anymore.

To explain:

I would turn on the machines and connect them.  I would see the AMIGA in the
NN window of the PeeCee.

I would double click it and yesterday I got it working.  Today when I did
it, I was back to the password problem.

Now, for some very odd reason, yesterday when I set up the password for
remote access I used the smbpasswd program like this:

smbpasswd -a pcguest

As was stated in the HTML document.

How confused then was I when today it wouldn't accept the -a

Anyway, cutting that out, after a few attempts (and restoring the original
file *) it started to work again.   (* the original file:   The smbpasswd
file that was generated yesterday.)

So, ok:  That side is working again.

Ofcourse I didn't realise at the time, but where on the PeeCee is the
username "pcguest" told that is the username to be sent?

I am *NOT* logged on/in to the PeeCee as "pcguest" so that has me kind of
stumped now.

Now, today's project was to get the Amiga to see the PeeCee's drives.  The
way I want it to be.

This is the mount list:

*Handler     = L:SMB-Handler*
*Stacksize   = 40000*
*Priority    = 5*
*GlobVec     = -1*
*Mount       = 1*
*Startup     = "C=\\586\PC MH=AMIGA W=MARY U=pcguest P=''"*
**
I get an error saying:

*Host 586  can not be contacted.*

(after a good while)

Not to be put off by that, I thought about it and tried editing the last
line to:

*Startup     = "C=\\PC1\PC MH=AMIGA W=MARY U=pcguest P=''"*

(PC1 is an alias to the machine)

When I try that file:

Socket access from PC1 denied!
Hostname invalid (PC1 E:$82)

(straight away)

So does that mean that the "network" doesn't like that, or ......?

I am reading my way through the manuals, but I find it very difficult to
understand as it is not explained in a way I have any experiance.   :-/

So, to go over my problems:

1)  Where does the PeeCee get the name "pcguest" to send to my Amiga when I
double click on the NN entry?  - as I am NOT logged in as that user.

2)  How is the system told that "586" is a remote machine?   Which file does
this?

3)  What would be causing the error that I could access the Amiga drives
yesterday and not today?  Only after mucking about and not really doing
anything did it start to work again.

4)  With slight reference back to #1   So does it matter who the user is of
that machine (who logs in at the beginning) to wheather or not they will
get access to the Amiga?

Sorry.  I don't know if they are or not curley questions.  I am still way
down the bottom of the learning curve.  :-)

Anyone help me?

P.S.
On that Amiga accessing the PeeCee drives problem.   To test another theory,
I made the last line look like this:

*Startup     = "C=\\AMIGA\PC MH=AMIGA W=MARY U=pcguest P=''"*

Thinking that I would get a new drive mounted.

I was asked for a password similar to what happened when I tried to access
the Amiga from the PeeCee.

I could cancel the requestor and go to the PeeCee and connect Ok.   But then
if I tried to do it all on the Amiga, it would ask for a password.  YET the
user was pcguest in both cases.  Or so I believe.   <:-/

Cya!
--
No sane man will dance.

Andrew Bruno