samba max open files

Adam Tauno Williams adam at morrison-ind.com
Fri Dec 29 20:25:14 GMT 2000

>I am michel galene (paris - france) and I have a problem with a linux system
>with samba message is :
>smb/files c:file_init(216)
>file_init request 10000 open files  1014 available
>have you some ideas concerning file or parameters to adapt?

Yep, the default maximum file handles per process is 1024.

To raise the maximum file hanles and open-inodes the kernel will accept:

echo "32768" > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
echo "65536" > /proc/sys/fs/inode-max

somewhere in your startup.

To raise the number of handles per process,  run the below before starting
smbd/nmbd to let them have up to 10,000 file handles.

ulimit -Hn 10240
ulimit -Sn 10240

Such measures as the above are good tips on all Linux server machines, as it is
configured out of the box to run on a desktop class machine as a little
workstation.

For tuning tips:
http://www.kegel.com/c10k.html
http://www.kalamazoolinux.org/presentations/19991221/