integrating samba with an NT domain controller

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Dec 28 15:24:10 GMT 2000

Hi Eric,
That's a sticky one.  MPE/iX does not HAVE a /etc/passwd or /etc/group file,
or the concept of NIS databases.  The actual user.account security on MPE is
MPE specific.  A LOT of mods into the Samba code are made to get this to
function because of this; many of the posix system calls samba uses (like
setgid, setegid, etc) aren't implemented in the posix that MPE/iX uses,
because MPE/iX security doesn't provide for a 'user' to be in more than one
'account', so when you change the 'uid' you effectively change the gid
(which maps to the 'account') as well.  There's lots more, but the real
simple answer to your question is as follows:

1. If you want your MPE/iX machine to do your login authentication, then all
your clients must have the registry hack that allows them to send cleartext
passwords, and you would need to map your pc usernames to mpe user.account
names via the user.map file. The client, when attaching to an Samba/iX
share, would need to specify the mpe user.account passwords (there is one
for each, userpassword,accountpassword) in the format userpass,acctpass.
2. None of the versions HP supports or supplies (none extant anywhere at
this time, as far as I know) allow you to use the smbpasswd program or
encrypted passwords in 'user' level security.  We ARE investigating how we
can make this work, but I have no commitments from the labs at this point as
to when this will actually make it into a supported HP version, though I
have made it work with some down and dirty code changes at 2.0.7, and we are
looking at cleaning that up for the supported version in the future.
3. Samba/iX works pretty well in server or domain level security, and
keeps you from having to deal with the 'messy' cleartext password issues.
In general, I recommend using server or domain level security, with the
appropriate user.map file to map your pc usernames to the appropriate mpe
username.accountname user(s).

There is a pretty good external HP page that talks about the next version of
Samba/iX that is being worked on, and what you can expect:

      http://jazz.external.hp.com/src/samba/

Hope this helps,
Don