Samba and CUPS almost there...

Daniell Freed dxf at dewittross.net
Tue Dec 26 20:22:13 GMT 2000

I am using a fresh install of Mandrake 7.2 (if that matters) with Samba
2.0.7 and Cups 1.1.4 and am trying to share my printer to a couple of 98
boxes.

The share shows up fine and I am able to setup the drivers for the
share, but when I try to print to this printer the print job is sent OK
(as far as Win98 is concerned) but it never seems to leave the
/var/spool/samba/ directory, i.e. it never prints.  I know the job is
getting to the Mandrake machine OK because it shows up in the
/var/spool/samba dirctory, but from there nothing happens.

I can print a test page using the print test page option in the Mandrake
Configure utilities.

This is what my smb.conf file looks like (at least the printer specific
stuff):

[global]
    workgroup = MATRIX
    netbios name = WINTERMUTE
    server string = Samba Server %v
    interfaces = eth1
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    update encrypted = Yes
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    printcap name = lpstat
    dns proxy = No
    printing = cups
    print command = /usr/bin/lp -d%p -oraw %s; rm %s
    lpq command = /usr/bin/lpstat -o%p
    lprm command = /usr/bin/cancel %p-%j
    queuepause command = /usr/bin/disable %p
    queueresume command = /usr/bin/enable %p

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    writeable = Yes
    browseable = No

[lp]
    path = /tmp
    printable = Yes

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

--
Daniell Freed
Computer Services

He who fights with monsters might take care
lest he thereby become a monster.
And if you gaze for long into an abyss,
the abyss gazes also into you.

Beyond Good and Evil