Connection reset by peer

Romanenko M.A. mikhail at angg.ru
Tue Dec 26 14:04:13 GMT 2000

Thank you for the answer.

> hallo, Mikhail,
> Telling you WHAT the message means is no problem - Samba had a connection
> open to the pc, and had hung a read on the socket (file descriptor
> representing the connection) and was expecting information back; what samba
> found was an error return when it tried to read from the socket, indicating
> that the connection had been reset FROM the client side.  That is to say,
> last thing samba knew, the connection was good, it send something to the
> client, and when it tried to read back reply from the client, the connection
> was gone.  WHY? that's of course the real question, and for that I have no
> answer.  A couple of questions that might help others on this list make some
> guesses:
> 1. when this happens, WHAT does the client have to do to recover?
>    - can the client (win98) just try to access (mount) the shares again, and
> it works?
>    - or does the client have to reboot, or what?

As a rule, I see this only once a day in the morning (my server, where samba lives is rebooted every night for backup). I can mount shares manually after failure. And everything works fine (as a rule) during every next rebooting.
I've been using samba for a few years and never seen such a thing before.

> 2. when this happens do ALL the workstations have the same problem, or is is
> just one or
>     two, while the rest of the clients are still fine?

All of them.

> 3. Is there any indication in the system logs, or your network statistics,
> that there are any
>     excessive tcpip retries or errors around the time of the failure, or any
> other resource
>     shortages?  I'm not familiar with Debian Linux, but perhaps someone on
> the list could
>     point you to the utilities Debian supplies to check this out.

I can see nothing in the log files that could explain me the reason. Maybe someone will advice me where to look for.

Thank you, Mikhail.