samba digest, Vol 1 #229 - 20 msgs

Evan Panagiotopoulos panagiot at fsinter.net
Sun Dec 24 04:14:04 GMT 2000

Well, this is the second attempt. First time around I got no one to respond.
Perhaps this time I'll get luckier.

I have been trying to get Samba working and I have this question/problem.
The server has been assigned the ip address 10.20.0.3. During boot time, Red
Hat Linux 6.1,  all the messages are Ok. I can ping every computer OK. The
apache server runs without a problem.
I am signed on as root. When I issue the command smbclient -L 10.20.0.3 I
get the following message/error:

    Added interface ip=10.20.0.3 bcast=10.20.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
    Password: <here I type root's password>
    session setup failed: ERRsrv - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password
pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

If I press enter when it prompts me for the password I get the following
message:

  Domain=[Home]   OS=[Unix]  Server=[Samba 2.0.5a]

   Sharename           Type          Comment
   tmp                        Disk           Temporary file space
   IPC$                     IPC            IPC Service (Samba Server)

   Server                               Comment
   SPANKY                           Samba Server

   Workgroup                         Master
    HOME                              SPANKY

I have changed the passwork in smbpasswd and made sure that are that same
with the user passwords. I also log on as a regular user and I get the same
output.

I changed the 'encrypt passwords=yes' in smb.conf and tried
the 'smbclient -L 10.20.0.3' and got the same results.

Obviously I tested the smb.cong with the testparm and was clean!

Thanks,
Evan Panagiotopoulos
Technology, Library and Media Director
Poughkeepsie City School District