smbd and nmbd startup problem's...

JON GERDES GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 10:01:49 GMT 2000

Check the following please

With Samba stopped as far as you can tell:
# netstat -l   (is there anything listed related to netbios)
# ps ax  (are there any smbd or nmbd)

The first will tell you if you've accidently nicked Samba's ports with another daemon and the second whether something else has started Samba and you are effectivly starting it again.

Instead of using the samba script you allude to, on Mandrake try:

/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop|start|status  (ie one of start, stop etc)

The auto starting is done by using symlinks in the various rc.d directories. If you boot straight into X, then look in /etc/rc.d/rc5.d.  You should see a symlink called Snnsmb (where nn is a number) and one called Knnsmb.  These start and stop Samba.  If you boot to a prompt then look in rc3.d

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

>>> "Amir Tal" <tal at intercomp-sys.com> 12/22/00 12:30am >>>
hello list...

having some kind of a weird problem with starting the samba daemons.
I am running a Linux mandrake server at home, and my other 2 machines are
running win2k.

up until yesterday, there were no problem with samba, and everything worked
like a charm.
I didn't make any drastic changes to my system, but now when I try to start
the samba services (which were automatically loaded so far btw) it looks
like the services are loading, but they actually don't :

[root at mars tal]# samba start
Starting SMB services: [  OK  ]
Starting NMB services: [  OK  ]
[root at mars tal]# samba status
smbd is stopped
nmbd is stopped
[root at mars tal]#

I tried to re-install all the samba rpm's, but it didn't help.
I checked to make sure that all the necessary files are actually in the
system (like smbd,nmbd,smb.conf etc...)
and everything looks fine.

when trying to access the shares via windows I get an error message that
says the device is in use (or some weird shit like that...)  ;)

does anyone know what might cause this ? please help !!

thanks.

--------------------------------
 _|_|_	   Best Regard's ,
  ( )   *  Amir Tal,