CUPS/compiling problem in Linux-Mandrake 7.2

JON GERDES GERDESJ at gkn-whl.co.uk
Fri Dec 22 09:43:42 GMT 2000

Grab the CUPS source code from their web site and put the "cups" directory under the "source" directory of your Samba source.  Rerun make.

This may seem a bit of an arse to you or me but CUPS belongs to CUPS as it were.  It might be nice if ./configure failed with a descriptive message if it looked for the CUPS source after seeing that you have libcups on the box and decided to add support for it.  I can't see a --without-cups option to configure either - that might be nice.

There have been several posts on this issue, so could someone fix it (I'm no coder).

Cheers
Jon Gerdes

>>> "KXI Technology, Inc." <kxitech at ntcnet.com> 12/21/00 07:49pm >>>
I am a complete Newbie to Linux and Samba. I am trying to install Linux/Samba to replace our old Win server.

When I tried to compile Samba the first time, I got an error "cups/cups.h: No such file or directory". I read a post here
that said to run configure (which I had) or rem out the CUPS library include line in config.h. Did that. The old error
disappeared, now I have a new one:

When running make, I get an error as follows:

Linking bin/smbd
printing/pcap.o: In Function 'pcap_printername_ok':
printing/pcap.o(.text+0xdd): undefined reference to 'cups_printername_ok'
printing/pcap.o: In function 'pcap_printer_fn':
printing/pcap.o(.text+0x2c5): undefined reference to 'cups_printername_fn'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [bin/smbd] Error 1

Any ideas? I have been fighting with this thing for 4 days now and Windows is starting to look better and better all the
time :-(

Tim Pauly