Reliable method to mount a Win 2K share on Linux.

Grant grant at conprojan.com.au
Fri Dec 22 07:34:08 GMT 2000

I'm now using samba v2.0.7 and 2.2.18 kernel.

The command for mounting a Windows 2000 share for smbmount is:

mount -t smbfs -o
username=USERNAME,password=PASSWORD,uid=root,gid=root,dmask=0777
//SHAREPC/share /mount/directory

After a while it seems to disconnect. With errors from the log:

Dec 22 17:28:26 sphinx kernel: smb_trans2_request: result=-32, setting
invalid
Dec 22 17:28:38 sphinx kernel: smb_retry: signal failed, error=-3

I mount nfs shares to other linux boxes (from linux) and they stay
connected 24/7 365 days a year. smbmount is a pain in the ass. Is it
smbmount or Windows 2000 that is doing this? I just want the mounted share
to stay there permanently...