Samba as a gateway

Dieter Speck d.speck at gmx.net
Thu Dec 21 12:09:25 GMT 2000

Dear Matthew,

Samba is not the right tool! There are two ways:

either use ipchains to make transparent forwarding
or use a proxy (i.e. squid (www.squid.org)

The good thing about ipchains is that you can configure whatever type of
connection you would like the Windows computer to have and you can
configure a firewall too.
The bad thing is that you have to know how. But there is a lot of
documentation coming with ipchains and you find much more on the web.

The good thing about a proxy is that it is simple and efficient for
browsing the web.
The bad point is that you have no direct email, news etc.

Best regards,

Dieter

PS: ipchains usually is included in Linux distributions. However, you
better get the latest version to avoid security bugs.