couldn't find service [talks, player32]

Ed Maher ewm at fpk.hp.com
Wed Dec 20 21:24:02 GMT 2000

Here's the info:

    1) the user is using Windows NT 4.0 Workstation
            - many other folks are using the same OS (it's
                the standard desktop system at our site)

    2) the username/password isn't an issue because I
            have security=share and the share is set up
            with 'guest ok = yes'.  All users connecting to
            this share are coming in through the 'guest'
            account that I have added.

    3) N/A for the same reason as in '2)'

Note that the user IS able to access the share, i.e., he can
map it and see it's contents.  It is only during the execution
of the Windows application does the error appear in the
log file.  Also, he is able to run the application directly on
his PC from the CDROM drive on his PC; i.e., it works
when SAMBA is not being used.

My next step will likely be to mount the CDROM (that has
the application) on an NT server system and have him attempt
to run it that way.  If this works, then it's definitely an
incompatibility with SAMBA and his PC - I just don't know
how to track it down.

If it'll help, I can create a log file of the error with debug=5.
I'm not sure what extra information I'll get with this.

Thanks!

-Ed