Problem (Accentuated characters come in a strange way)

Urban Widmark urban at teststation.com
Tue Dec 19 22:30:57 GMT 2000

On Tue, 19 Dec 2000, Andre Ricardo Telles wrote:

> I am needing help, because I am with problems in the samba with RedHat 7
> making the use of accentuadted characters in the windows 98. I create a
> file accentuated and in the other machine gets to open this file the
> message that I receive it is that the file doesn't exist. Could anybody
> help me ? Are accentuated characters supported by the samba ?

You need to give a more detailed description of what you are doing and
what it is that isn't working.

Which machine is acting as a server?
If samba is a client, which program? (smbclient, smbmount/smbfs)
Versions on these programs (ok, RH7 and that has ... ?)

For samba as a server or smbclient you may try looking into these options:
	character set
	client code page
(man smb.conf)

For smbmount/smbfs you probably need to recompile your kernel and set the
proper default values.
If you are using a 2.4.0-test kernel you can instead patch and recompile
samba 2.0.7 (if that seems easier) and enable options for specifying the
codepage/charset to use:
http://www.hojdpunkten.ac.se/054/samba/smbmount-2.0.7-ascii+fixes.patch

/Urban