my problem once again

Marcel Kunath kunathma at pilot.msu.edu
Tue Dec 19 19:07:24 GMT 2000

> Marcel Kunath wrote:
> >
> > 1. My /etc/printcap:
> >
> > smurf:cm=Network Printer smurf:\
> >         :lp=smurf.mydomain.com%9100:\
> >         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/%P:\
>                              ^^ ???
>
> >         :ifhp=model=hp2100,status@:\
> >         :sh:\
> >         :filter=/usr/local/libexec/filters/ifhp:\
> >         :mx#0
> >
> <snip>
> > PS: To sum my problem up. The file to be printed from Win98 is put in
> > /var/spool/lpd/samba but not printed or deleted on the Linux box.
>
> It seems your Samba Server is working fine - the %P in your printcap
> looks a little strange to me. Did you try 'sd=/var/spool/lpd/smurf' ?
> Does printing work from the Linux commandline eg. 'lpr -Psmurf
> somefile.txt' ?

Yeah Linux printing works fine. It's the Windows side which gives me headache.

Somebody asked me if Samba was allowed to print on my system. How do I know?
(suse 7.0)

I could just circumvent the whole Samba printing by using the printers
jetdirect but I got stuck on this problem and I hate to give up.

 mk