"Network is Busy" Error Message

Steve McClary scm at mrwassoc.com
Tue Dec 19 18:47:09 GMT 2000

Well, folks, I still haven't been able to get rid of this problem. Maybe
it's a reverse DNS lookup issue, as has been suggested by some. But if so,
I can't figure out how to fix it.

More details: the network includes several Win98 clients. We are hooked up
to our ISP via a DSL router which provides NAT and DHCP. Most of the
clients get IP numbers via DHCP, but not all. Samba 2.0.7 is running on
RedHat 7.0 (used to be 5.2, updated since my last message). So far as I
know, the Samba server is not providing DNS to the local network. Samba
server is the browse master.

When some of the clients log on first thing in the morning, they get the
infamous "Network is Busy" message when their machines try to establish
connections to mapped drives that are Samba shares. The same share shows up
fine when they go to Network Neighborhood, and connection is readily
established. Seems to happen most days but not all, to about six out of 20
users.

smb.log shows following for these users:

[2000/12/19 09:31:28, 1] lib/util_sock.c:client_name(1007)
   Gethostbyaddr failed for 192.168.1.30
[2000/12/19 09:31:28, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(540)
   write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
[2000/12/19 09:31:28, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(566)
   write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe
[2000/12/19 09:31:28, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(754)
   Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. Exiting
[2000/12/19 09:34:21, 1] lib/util_sock.c:client_name(1007)
   Gethostbyaddr failed for 192.168.1.56
[2000/12/19 09:34:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(540)
   write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
[2000/12/19 09:34:21, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket(566)
   write_socket: Error writing 4 bytes to socket 6: ERRNO = Broken pipe

I have tried changing WINS setting, letting some Win98 clients use the DHCP
server for WINS, some are not. Makes no difference. Tried changing hubs to
which the users connect (all are on 100MB connections at both ends). No
difference.

I am baffled and confused, and my users are scornful of Linux and Samba.
They correctly point out that we have old Win95 machines on the network
that act as servers and do not have this problem.

Does anyone have suggestions? If it is a reverse DNS problem, what does
that mean and what can I do about it?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Steve McClary