Network Busy (Samba/Fbsd 4)

User Kuzak kuzak at kuzak.net
Mon Dec 18 17:17:53 GMT 2000

	I've encountered a problem at a location where I am using a FreeBSD/Samba
setup as a Fileserver for a small LAN ( ~5 workstations ).  The hardware spec's
of the server should be more than adiquate for a small LAN and the network is
running on all 100 base.

	The problem appears to be initiated by the running of a certain program on
several workstaions at once ( Windows 98 workstations ).  The way the program
works is that it opens serveral ( ~30 ) files on the fileserver at once and uses them
as well as storing decent sized database files on the server..  When this program
is used on 3 or 4 workstations at once.. eventually all network operations with the
server stop working.

	At first all of the workstations can run the program fine and access all material
in the manner expected.  After a varying amount of time though eventually one of
the workstations will get disconnected from the Samba Fileserver ( the windows
drive mapping will disconnect ).  At this time the other workstaions on the network
may or may not still have access to the server, but as soon at they try to relogin
to the server, they are denied ( relogin meaning either rebooting their workstaion, or
simple loging off windows and relogining in. ).

	The message that is given when they try to relogin is "Network Busy".  At this
point the only remedy that has been found is to reboot the server and it will begin
to operate normally for a while.

I am wondering if anyone is familiar with a possible cause of this problem.  I have
had a lot of trouble trying to diagnose the cause.. The possibilities that I have come
up with so far are increasing the default max users and NMBCLUSTERS in the
freebsd kernel, a new nic ( already tried this once and didn't fix the problem ), the
limits on open files.. which should not be it since that are unlimited right now, or
a samba configuration problem.  I am at a loss as to what the problem is, so if
anyone could offer some insight or advice I am eager to hear from you.

I do not subscribe to the list, so Please CC me if you think of anything.

Kindest Regards,
		-Aric