(hopefully) simple problem

shivak anarkky at cyberwar.com
Mon Dec 18 17:02:16 GMT 2000

I had a few win9x machines on the same subnet as my openBSD samba server
(they were all on 192.168.0.*). I changed the samba server's IP to a
public one with all the rest of the servers. I could ping and ssh the
samba box, but nothing showed up in network neighborhood and "net
view" wouldn't return anything. I made the samba box the WINS server (wins
suppport = yes) and configured the win9x machines, so "net view" and
manual typing (i.e. typing \\server-name in the address
box) worked. However, the samba server still does not show up in network
neighborhood. please CC all replies to me, i don't subscribe to the
list. thank you.