Out if file structures

Oswald P. Backus backus at cadence.com
Mon Dec 18 15:25:42 GMT 2000

FYI:
  I've done a fair amount of digging through the samba archives, and
while I've found some discussion on this problem, I haven't been able
to find a definitive answer, so I'll pose the question(s) here.
  I've fairly new to samba (though I have used it in the past), but I
do have the 2.0.7 sources, and am running using binaries built from those
sources. For the most part samba is working perfectly, but when I
initiate a build (we're using samba for access to clearcase vobs) that
compiles and links may thousands of files, I end up getting this
message:

[2000/12/13 19:29:45, 0] smbd/files.c:(85)
  ERROR! Out of file structures

I've tried setting the limit for file descriptors to 4096, and
restarting the inetd process (which apparently is how samba now spawns
new smbd processes), and I can see in the log file that:

[2000/12/18 06:10:05, 1] smbd/files.c:(216)
  file_init: Information only: requested 10000 open files, 4086 are available.

so, it looks like I'm getting more than the default 1024 files
descriptors. But, it doesn't make any difference. The build still
fails in the same place, and the above error message begins appearing
in the log.
  Is there some other variable that I need to modify in the code to
allow more open file descriptors? Is there some trick on the NT side
that will effectively close the files (I certainly don't need 1000+
files open at any given time during the compile!).

  Any info on this subject would be greatly appreciated! Actually, is
there a mailing list anywhere for clearcase/samba users? I'm sure I'm
not the first person to bump into this problem?

  On an different subject, I'm also seeing:

[2000/12/18 07:09:22, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:(214)
  ERROR shm_alloc : alloc of 115 bytes failed
[2000/12/18 07:09:22, 0] locking/locking_shm.c:(436)
  ERROR:set_share_mode shmops->shm_alloc fail!

in the log, but don't know of any problems this is cause (yet), and I
can't find any reference to this error on the samba archives. Does
anyone know what this mean?

Thanks for any info anyone can send me!

Ozzie,