win95/95 clientside password changes?

Christian Zander phoenix at minion.de
Sat Dec 16 20:14:10 GMT 2000

Hey all,

first off, the subcribe mechanism seems to be broken somehow ( I get
timeouts ), so please cc my email address when replying to the list.

I have a samba server installed for a medium/small network with
roughly 25 windows client machines. The all use domain logons and
mount various shares depending on which groups they belong to. The
server is a debian machine (v2.2 kernel 2.2.18) with samba version
2.0.7 running on it (debian default).

While I was able to figure out most problems I had, I was unable to
figure out what might be causing these:

1) When trying to change a user password from a windows client, it
   appears that the clients attempt to change the password for user
   nobody. This seems odd since they previously logged on to the
   server with the respective usernames. User nobody does not exist
   on the system. I have the server set up to synchronize the smb/
   unix passwords - this seems to work fine, I tested it by mapping
   nobody to a random user and attempting to change the password. So
   the question is, how do I get the windows client machines to use
   the appropriate usernames? (I have support for encrypted
   passwords enabled)

2) The other oddness only happens with windows95 client machines.
   They log on to the domain then  download / execute the appropriate
   script. The first time a win95 client does so after a boot, this
   works nicely - logging off and back on however, it still seems
   to execute the script, but it doesn't map the network drives. I
   can manually map them afterwards, but this seems awkward ...
   Any ideas?

christian zander              we come to bury dos, not to praise it.
phoenix at minion.de             -- paul vojta