smbclient -L ..., password problem. HELP!!!!!!

Evan Panagiotopoulos panagiot at fsinter.net
Sat Dec 16 23:56:23 GMT 2000

I have been trying to get Samba working and I have this question/problem.
The server has been assigned the ip address 10.20.0.3. During boot time, Red Hat Linux 6.1,  all the messages are Ok. I can ping every computer OK. The apache server runs without a problem.
I am signed-on as root. When I issue the command smbclient -L 10.20.0.3 I get the following message/error:

    Added interface ip=10.20.0.3 bcast=10.20.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
    Password: <here I type root's password>
    session setup failed: ERRsrv - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)

If I press enter when it prompts me for the password I get the following message:

  Domain=[Home]   OS=[Unix]  Server=[Samba 2.0.5a]

   Sharename           Type          Comment
   IPC$                     IPC            IPC Service (Samba Server)

   Server                               Comment
   SPANKY                           Samba Server

   Workgroup                         Master
    HOME                              SPANKY

Thanks,
Evan Panagiotopoulos
Technology, Library and Media Director
Poughkeepsie City School District