smbd choking on startup

Joseph T Watson jtwatson at sentrel.com
Sat Dec 16 01:45:35 GMT 2000

mjo wrote:

> I apologize ahead of time for being a Samba newbie.  If this site is only for
> really cool stuff I'm not up for yet, can someone point me to a novice list?
>
> Okay, I'm setting up samba for the first time.  The server is on two machines,
> and the client is my dad's Windows box.  Server #1 works great.  Server #2
> does not work, and unfortunately it's the more important one to have running.
> Samba says it starts okay when I do samba start.  however, when I subsequently
> do samba status, the smbd is not running and the nmbd is.  When I check out
> the log file this is the error I see:
> [2000/12/15 13:07:37, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(853)
>  bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)
>
> What/where is this address it is talking about, and how would one suggest I fix
> it?
>
> Thanks enormously!
>
> -Mjo
>
>  --
> Martha Jo McCarthy
> mjo at marthajo.net  (alternate: mjm6 at keene.edu)

What I think you are seeing is that there is a service already running on the port
139, which is needed by smbd.  I had this happen to me, and it turned out that
vmware was running and configured to use a samba to let the vhost acess the host.
I reconfigured it not to use samba and all worked well.  If you are not running
vmware I would suggest looking in/etc/services and /etc/inetd.conf to see if there
is a service using port 139.

Good Luck

Joseph