smbd choking on startup

Calvin Dodge caldodge at fpcc.net
Fri Dec 15 23:43:55 GMT 2000

mjo wrote:

> I apologize ahead of time for being a Samba newbie.  If this site is only for

We were all newbies once - I started with Linux just 2.5 years ago, and
I didn't compile my first kernel until this week (HAD to try 2.2.18).

> and the client is my dad's Windows box.  Server #1 works great.  Server #2
> does not work, and unfortunately it's the more important one to have running.
> Samba says it starts okay when I do samba start.  however, when I subsequently
> do samba status, the smbd is not running and the nmbd is.  When I check out
> the log file this is the error I see:
> [2000/12/15 13:07:37, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(853)
>  bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)
>
> What/where is this address it is talking about, and how would one suggest I fix
> it?

That means the system thinks another program has latched onto port 139.

Log in as root, and run "fuser -vn tcp 139" to see what program is using
that port.

Then you can enlighten us.

Calvin
--