win95 machine not seeing samba server

dschaible at obiwan.balmar.com dschaible at obiwan.balmar.com
Fri Dec 15 18:52:02 GMT 2000

Greetings lists,

I have one samba server on a network, running linux kernel 2.2.18 and
samba 2.0.3  This server shares it's cdrom and a printer to a workgroup
called IT.  There are five win95 machines successfully printing and using
the cdrom with no problems.  I have two machines that cannot see the samba
server at all, both running win95.  All machines are identical in hardware
and installed with the same image using DriveImage, so configurations are
100% identical.

On all machines, there is no browse list for the workgroup, but they still
connect fine using the UNC \\machine\share and \\machine\printer
except on these two machines where I get "The computer or sharename could
not be found.  Make sure you typed it correctly, and try again." - The
friendly Windows error message.  Nothing in the log files on the Samba
server appear for these attempts.

I have tried installing Netbui on the affected machines, and I have
enabled netbios via tcp on them as well.  On of the machines is on the
same hub as the samba server too.

I am at a loss as to how to troubleshoot from here, any thoughts are
appreciated!!

TIA
DS