smbd choking on startup

mjo mjo at marthajo.net
Fri Dec 15 18:16:45 GMT 2000

I apologize ahead of time for being a Samba newbie.  If this site is only for
really cool stuff I'm not up for yet, can someone point me to a novice list?

Okay, I'm setting up samba for the first time.  The server is on two machines,
and the client is my dad's Windows box.  Server #1 works great.  Server #2
does not work, and unfortunately it's the more important one to have running.
Samba says it starts okay when I do samba start.  however, when I subsequently
do samba status, the smbd is not running and the nmbd is.  When I check out
the log file this is the error I see:
[2000/12/15 13:07:37, 0] lib/util_sock.c:open_socket_in(853)
 bind failed on port 139 socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)

What/where is this address it is talking about, and how would one suggest I fix
it?

Thanks enormously!

-Mjo

 --