samba 2.0.7 and Windows 2000 authentication problem

Mike Kistler mkistler at io.com
Fri Dec 15 15:33:35 GMT 2000

Hello,

I just installed Win2000, and I am trying to get it to talk nicely
to my samba server.  I am running samba 2.0.7 on redhat 7.0.
I have installed W2K service pack 1.

When I try to connect, I get authentication failures:

C:\>net view \\speedster
System error 5 has occurred.

Access is denied.

C:\>

I think this is because W2K is not sending plain text passwords.

I have applied the Win2000_PlainPassword.reg that is shipped with
samba, and I also set "Send unencrypted password to third party SMB servers."
to enabled in the Local Security Policies / Security Options, but still
no luck.  I have rebooted W2K and restarted smb ... neither helped.

I suspect this is a password problem because I CAN connect when I
specifiy the password explicitly.  For example ...

C:\>net use t: \\speedster\tmp
The password or user name is invalid for \\speedster\tmp.

Type the password for \\speedster\tmp: <I typed my password here>
The command completed successfully.

C:\>

I have set log level to 10 on my smb server and I can see that the packet
for the first request did not contain a plain text password (I didn't see anything
that looked like an encrypted password either).  The second request does
contain a plain text password and that worked.

Any help on diagnosing this would be greatly appreciated!

Mike Kistler