using winbindd with samba 2.07 and multiple master domains

Rob Mason Rob_Mason at eur.3com.com
Thu Dec 14 20:59:15 GMT 2000

---------------------- Forwarded by Rob Mason/IE/3Com on 14/12/2000 21:01
---------------------------

Rob Mason/IE/3Com
13/12/2000 21:08

Sent by:  Rob Mason  -  Engineer, ESD

To:   tng-users at samba-tng.org
cc:
Subject:  using winbindd with samba 2.07 and multiple master domains

For my application I would like to use the current release version of Samba
(2.07) but add winbindd functionality.
What I have done is to install 2.07 as an rpm on my Redhat 6.2 box. Then from
the tng source I have done a 'make nsswitch', having run configure to set the
bin , lib, conf directories to the same as those in which the redhat rpm
installs its stuff. I then manually copy winbindd and wbinfo to /usr/sbin and
copy the libmsrpc and libnss_winbind to /usr/lib and make the appropriate links,
and go through the winbind set up from the man page.
Now getent passwd and getent group work fine showing users from the PDC user
database, authentication is fine etc. There is one problem , the user database
from the second domain controller which has a two way trust is not listed. My
other test system which has a full TNG install works fine for both domains.
(both of my PDCs are NT4.0 servers)
The winbind log shows that winbind was unable to get the name of the netbios
name of the pdc for the second domain.
Replacing the 2.07 version of nmbd with a version built from the tng code solves
this problem.
Now however I no longer have a full 2.07 samba as I am running the tng nmbd
(basically I have been charged with introducing winbindd functionality to the
network without taking on the alpha nature of TNG).
What I would like to know is what are the differences between nmbd in tng and
nmbd in samba 2.07,i.e is it a bug fix change or is nmbd rewritten to make use
of tng's libraries?
Or is there some change that can be made to winbindd to make it work with 2.07.

Thanks

Rob Mason