Setting up virtual samba servers

MEwing at berkleyis.com MEwing at berkleyis.com
Thu Dec 14 20:12:08 GMT 2000

Using Samba-2.0.7, I am attempting to setup virtual samba servers, and am
experiencing
some difficulty in getting the configuration to operate properly.

I have checked the documentation provided with the source distribution, and
the O'Reilly
book "Using Samba" and have not found any hints on what I need to do the
resolve the
problem.

I have also checked the "comp.protocols.smb" newsgroup where I found posts
from other
individuals having the same problem, but did not find any solutions posted
to the newsgroup.

The problem is that the "netbios alias" names do not appear to be
recognized by the
samba server when I specify one of the alias names as the server and
attempt to connect
to a share.

       ie.      netbios aliases = virtual01  virtual02
(in smb.conf  file)

       In a MSDOS window on a PC, I issue the following command and get the
indicated result.

                  net  use   r:  \\virtual01\temp  /user:\root

                  result:      The network path was not found.

When I use the "testparm" command and use the  "-L" flag to specify the
servername,
the "%L"  variable is not  expanded to reflect the servername.

Can you please provide me with the steps necessary to resolve this problem,
or direct me
to the appropriate documentation?

Attached are samples of the configuration files that I am using.

Thank you for your assistance.

Michael Ewing
UNIX  System Administrator
Berkley Information Services

(See attached file: virtual02.conf)(See attached file: virtual01.conf)(See
attached file: smb.conf)