Failed to set gid privileges

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Thu Dec 14 14:13:47 GMT 2000

Hi Martin,
The problem you are running into is that on your system, apparently the call
to setgid()  is failing; there is a test in assert_gid to check to see if
the current egid is the same as what you were trying to set it to, and if
this fails, it cores smbd.  You can get similar problems if you have
negative uid/gid's that are being used in your nis or /etc/passwd and
/etc/group file, but based on what you show in your debug snippet, this is
not your case.  More likely when you compiled Samba 2.0.7, something went
wrong and it thinks it has the ability to set the egid with a call that is
not working.  If you turn on level=10 debugging and try again, you might get
more information on exactly what is occurring before this.
I'm not familiar with Debian OS, but we had a similar problem with MPE/iX,
because the posix implementation didn't really implement setgid and setegid
appropriately.

Anyone out there with his version of Debian up and running?
Did you compile Samba 2.0.7 yourself, or pull a binary package specifically
for Debian 2.2?

Hope this helps,
Don