application server problems on windows 2000

Binx Bolling binxboll_usenet at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 14 09:43:54 GMT 2000

I have set up an adminstrative share of Microsoft Office 2000
on a redhat samba server (2.0.7). I have made the read-only share
available to several windows 2000 clients through guest access. I
would like to set up my clients to run Office apps over the network.
When I go through the Office setup program, specifying "run from
network" for most office components, the installation seems to
complete without a problem. But when I actually try to run Word or
Excel from a windows client, windows does not know where to find
the executable files. I get a dialog box that prompts me to enter the
path to the program. The problem only occurs with windows 2000
clients, and only when I install office using a UNC path (e.g., by
running \\admin\office\setup.exe). When I map a windows drive, say O:,
to the samba share and then run O:\setup.exe, Office apps work
perfectly. When I try installing Office from an NT share, it works
perfectly. Only when I do the installation from a UNC path pointing to
a Samba share do I encounter problems. What could I be doing wrong?
(Assuming my Samba configuration is to blame.)

bb
please cc any replies to me directly