nmbd's respawning until they can't anymore

Mark Symonds mark at symonds.net
Wed Dec 13 05:01:58 GMT 2000

Hi,

About a year ago I was running debian slink with samba.
I upgraded to potato (without upgrading my kernel) and
noticed a bit later the box was dying.  A ps revealed
hundreds of nmbd's running and they kept spawning until
the system ran out of resources.

This was posted to the debian buglist, and it was discovered
that this was happening to people still running 2.0.36 kernels.
The workaround was to upgrade to 2.2.14.

Last week I upgraded to 2.2.17 and the problem returned.
The only way around this that I know of is to revert to
the old debian package.

Here is the info about the two packages:

For slink:

newport:/cdrom/debian/dists/slink/main/binary-i386/net# dpkg --info ./samba-comm
on_2.0.5a-1slink1.deb
 new debian package, version 2.0.
 Package: samba-common
 Version: 2.0.5a-1slink1
 Section: net
 Architecture: i386
 Depends: libc6
 Replaces: samba (<= 1.9.18p10-7)
 Installed-Size: 265
 Maintainer: Eloy A. Paris <peloy at debian.org>

...and here is the info on potato:

symonds:/var/cache/apt/archives# apt-cache show samba-common
Package: samba-common
Section: net
Installed-Size: 3206
Maintainer: Eloy A. Paris <peloy at debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: samba
Version: 2.0.7-3
Replaces: samba (<= 2.0.5a-2)
Depends: libpam-modules, libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libncurses5, libpam0g, libreadline4 (>= 4.1)

I apologize in advance if this is a FAQ of some sort, just hoping
someone might have some suggestions.

--
Mark

grep me no patterns and I'll tell you no lines.