Shared folder file permissions

Lance Lovette lance-samba at dailyrating.com
Tue Dec 12 22:17:46 GMT 2000

Samba 2.0.7 on RedHat 6.2 accessing from Windows 2000.

I have a shared folder that a few people need access to. Everyone needs to
be able to toggle the write bit of the files in this shared folder. The
application we use marks the files read-only to "lock" them. Currently we
can all connect to the Samba server successfully but only the (Unix) owner
of the file has the ability to change the file permissions. My solution to
this is to have everyone connect to the server as the same user. This is not
ideal because we have to share the password for that dummy user and we can't
access our home directories. Are there some settings I can use for that
particular share in smb.conf so that we can connect as individuals to the
server and still be able to change the file permissions?

Thanks!
Lance