Question about NT client and HP-UX server software both accessing the SAME file at the same time on samba share...

Richardson, Chris (FCS/SFC-AST) Chris.Richardson at gnb.ca
Tue Dec 12 19:00:35 GMT 2000

We have software that runs the server side on HP and the client attaches to
an instance from NT.

Once connection to the server has been made, the client makes a file and
instructs the server to put information into the file, at the same time
putting information into the file itself.

There seems to be some issues with this.  One known one (by the
manufacturers of the software we are using) is that we can NOT use
opportunistic locks.

With oplocks = no, this does not totally fix the problem.

It seems that the NT client and the HP server programs write to the same
named file in a shared directory that is only certified with NFS clients.
We do not have NFS clients for our NT machines and don't have money for them
here at this client site...

The names of the two files, when viewed from the HP side are the same, but
one is lower case and one is upper...when

I add the option for case sensitive = yes, there is then only ONE file, but
the NT machine seems to not be able to find "its" file (the lower case one)
now and the app thrashs.

Are there other settings can I pay attention to that deal specifically with
having NT client and HP server software accessing the same file at the same
(or close to it) time on a samba share?

Thanks!!

Christopher Richardson/444-5901
Application Support Team/FCS