Newbie Questions

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Tue Dec 12 08:37:41 GMT 2000

Matthew,

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 01:24:19 -0600, Matthew Boehm wrote:

>    I have just dipped into the Samba realm and can't seem to figure
>some stuff out. We have a very large internal network here at my
>university. Just pop open 'Network Neighborhood' and you are flooded
>with about 20 groups each containing anywhere between 1 and 5
>computers.
>
>    My first question is this: How can I get a listing of all the
>groups that are available? I heard something about a master server.
>How do I found out what the name of that computer is?

Find a name of _any_ server in your workgroup (must be a server, not
only a workstation". Say

   smbclient -L server -U%

It will give you a list with at least one workgroup and the master.
Now ask the master:

   smbclient -L master -U%

It will give you a list with all known workgroups and their masters.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.