Session request failed (Called name not present) error

Jason Hill jhill at north.com
Tue Dec 12 00:37:31 GMT 2000

I've looked through the archives trying to find a solution to this problem.
I found a handful of messages that reported this error, however, only one of
them had a resolution.

I'm running Solaris 2.7 with Samba 2.0.7 and I receive the following message
when I try to use ./smbclient -L lonepeak.

session request to LONEPEAK failed (Called name not present)
session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

According to the documentation and my "hornbill" book this is probably due
to a NetBIOS problem, either nmbd isn't running (which it is) or it's not
responding to requests.

I built 2.0.7 from scratch with no problems, but for kicks I tried the
binary as well as older versions of Samba, all of them report the same
error.

I can pass the first two tests from DIAGNOSIS.txt and the following tests
pass in the fault tree:

Troubleshooting Low-level IP
Troubleshooting TCP
Troubleshooting SMB connections through Testing locally with smbclient.

I've installed and configured Samba many times in the past, and I've been
using it steady for the past 2-3 years.  I've never seen this error before
and it's causing me major headaches. ;)

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW, here's my smb.conf

[global]
	workgroup = tennorth
	security = share
	hosts allow = localhost, 127., lonepeak, 127.16.5
	hosts deny = all

[share]
	path = /tmp
	guest ok = yes