smbclient question

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Mon Dec 11 23:42:12 GMT 2000

Mona,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:04:33 -0500, Gourgy, Mona wrote:

>I am trying to send the message doing the following:
>
>echo "My message" |  opt/samba/bin/smbclient -R lmhosts -M hostname
>
>Added interface ip=x.x.x.x  bcast=x.x.x.x nmask=x.x.x.x
>error connecting to destIP:b (Invalid argument)
>Connection to destIP failed

This is definitely not what it tells you. Post the whole command and
post the whole error message.

The command

   echo "Hello World" | smbclient -M netbios_name

works fine here. Why are you using -R ?

>I also tried this using the IP address doing the following
>
>echo "My message" | opt/samba/bin/smbclient -I Ipaddress
>
>However, this did not work and it came back with the smbclient
>options. What is wrong with this method?

You should better say:

    echo "message" | smbclient -M netbios_name -I IPaddress

This is only for the case where the netbios name cannot be resolved.
This should not happen as long as you are in the same subnet.

>Can you please give some information on how to make this work.  It is
>really urgent since we need to send those message to the users asap.

I don't like this "asap". My managers like it. They pay me.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.