smbclient question

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Dec 11 20:56:30 GMT 2000

Mona,
I am able to make this work as you describe.  It looks from the error that
your lmhosts file entries might not be formatted properly;  can you post the
actual name you are using (hostname) and the entry in your lmhost file for
that name?

mine works simply if I do the following:
lmhosts file entry:
15.44.48.50  captain

command:
echo "My message" | opt/samba/bin/smbclient -R lmhosts -M captain

you might also want to post your smb.conf file, so the interfaces, bind
interfaces only, etc. lines can be examined...
Hope this helps,
Don