Problems renaming files from a Win98 client

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Mon Dec 11 20:17:33 GMT 2000

Hi Thomas,
I am able successfully to do what you mention, IF the appropriate parameters
in smb.conf are configured;
I have
case sensitive = yes (default = no)
preserve case = yes (default)
short preserve case = yes (default)
default case = lower  (default)

If I then use windows 98 explorer and create a file
 This is a test.txt

that's how it shows up on the unix side.

When I use windows 98 explorer and RENAME the file to
  tHis Is a Test.txt
it changes to this on the unix side, as well as in my view of
it on the windows explorer.

The "Using Samba" O'Reilly book has some good info on this on pg's:
145 thru 148...
Hope this helps,
Don