Is recompilation necessary?

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Mon Dec 11 15:43:58 GMT 2000

Adam,

On Mon, 11 Dec 2000 07:31:27 -0800 (PST), Gaivs Petronivs wrote:

>This is our situation:  We have Samba 2.0.6 on a AIX
>box.  We have another AIX box, same version, that the
>powers that be want to put Samba on.  Is it necessary
>to compile Samba afresh on the second box, or would it
>be enough to copy over the binaries and write a new
>smb.conf?

I can't speak for AIX but I'm used to copy my binaries to nearly every
machine with the same OS and the same or higher version. But I would
suggest to recompile because 2.0.7 has a lot of bugfixes and is known
to work much better with W2K.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.