password validation

Pedrum Mohageri pedrum at tacitussystems.com
Fri Dec 8 21:30:21 GMT 2000

 I think you have two choices here. You could try setting the NT machine
to use uncrypted passwords with the registry hacks included in the samba
package, or you could create an encrypted password on the unix box with
smbpasswd -a user pw. I use the latter method and it works fine, ie hits
the NT machine first and attempts to validate the user, and on failure
it will try the local password file. Good luck.