Windows 98 locking

Rob Graber r.graber at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 8 20:06:11 GMT 2000

Gurus,

I am running 2.0.6 on a SCO OSR5.0.5 box and have windows 98 clients.  I
setup a group in unix that is called joblist.  I put a few users in that
list.  In the public share I created a directory and did a "chgrp joblist"
on that directory and set its permissions to 775.  I expected that any files
in that directory would then be read-writeable for users in the joblist
group, and read-only for the rest of the world.  It appears that there are
file-locking problems occuring with files that are accessed by multiple
users.  For instance, if an excel spreadsheet is opened by a member of the
joblist group, and then another member of the joblist group attempts to open
the file, sometimes you get the warning in windows98 that the first user has
the file open already and you can only open it read-only, and sometimes you
don't and it appears to let you open the file read-write, but when the
second user saves the file none of the changes are saved even though there
is no warning.  Another issue is that if a read-only user opens the file,
and then a read-write member of the joblist group tries to open the file
they are not able to open it except in read-only mode.  In any case, the
locking seems to be sporadic and the life of a lock is unpredictable.  Any
ideas what my issue may be?

Very truly yours,

Rob G.