SUNTREEAZ.COM<1b>

Don Sutter drs at hevanet.com
Fri Dec 8 18:36:16 GMT 2000

Dave,

Thanks for the note.  I appreciate your answer but I think I
want to take exception to one of your conclusions.  I would
argue that if Samba is trying to be compatible with the
Microsoft Network then it needs to support whatever
conventions the Microsoft Network supports.  If dotted
netbios names are not "kosher" then I would argue that the
bug lies in the Microsoft realm, not in Samba and that Samba
might want to consider supporting the "bug".

This "problem" started when I set up the first PDC.  I'm
still pretty green with some of this internet terminology,
so when NT setup wanted a "Domain" name I entered our
Internet Domain Name because, although I was planning on
using FreeBSD for all of our internet services I wanted to
be able to fall back on NT if I couldn't get FreeBSD to
work.  I've never installed or setup an NT Internet
Information Server before either so I didn't know if it used
the PDC Domain Name or if I could specify a FQDN to IIS.

You used the term "kosher" in regards to the netbios name.
Is there a document somewhere that defines "kosher" netbios
names?

And again, thanks for the note.

Don