(no subject)

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Dec 7 09:13:11 GMT 2000

Don,

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 15:46:37 -0700, Don Sutter wrote:

>I already told you that the NetBIOS Domain Name and the
>Internet Domain Name were the same, they are both
>suntreeaz.com!  I don't understand why this is such an issue
>in your mind.  Please explain.

Just looking for clues ...

>nmbd is complaining that it is, "Unable to find the Domain
>Master Browser name SUNTREEAZ.COM<1b> for the workgroup
>SUNTREEAZ.COM".

Well, you can search for this message in the Samba sources. You will
find it in nmbd/nmbd_browsesync.c. The comment above says "Function
called when a query for a WORKGROUP<1b> name fails." In the book
"Using Samba" you will find the following text "By Microsoft design,
however, the domain master browser and the primary domain controller
(PDC) both register a resource type of <1B>, so the roles - and the
machines - are inseparable."

You told me you have a PDC named CHANDLER in workgroup SUNTREEAZ.COM.
This one definitely must be "SUNTREEAZ.COM<1B>". If nmbd doesn't find
"SUNTREEAZ.COM<1B>" you don't have no PDC in a workgroup
"SUNTREEAZ.COM". It's just that simple.

What does 'nmblookup -S SUNTREEAZ.COM#1B' return?

What does 'smbclient -L CHANDLER -U%' return?

Can you post your nmbd log file?

>  The private network DNS and WINS Server is
>the CHANDLER server at 192.168.254.1.  My /etc/resolv.conf
>is pointing to 192.168.254.1 and four other public DNS
>servers (two separate ISP's each running two DNS Servers).
>
>Am I reading the error message correctly?  Is nmbd looking
>for a Domain Master Browser named SUNTREEAZ.COM?

No, it is looking for the Domain Master Browser of a workgroup named
SUNTREEAZ.COM.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.