Encrypt Passwords & Mixed Case Passwords

Chen Shiyuan csy at hjc.edu.sg
Wed Dec 6 16:06:16 GMT 2000

Hello!

I have a query regarding the use of "encrypt passwords = yes" and is
wondering if anyone can help me with it.

If I recall correctly, when using "encrypt passwords = no" , Samba will
lookup the username/password via the UNIX /etc/passwd file or equivalent.
And as the password can have mixed-case passwords, the "password level =
x" parameter is used to produce the number of permutations of the
user supplied password to see if it matches that of the server.

But what about when using "encrypt passwords = yes" ? Is the "password
level = x" parameter still needed? Will the mixed case password issue
still occur or will the passwords all be converted into UPPPER or lower
case and then stored in the /etc/smbpasswd file?

Many thanks in advance for any advice.