Machine cannot see Samba server

Dan Egli dan at cfourusa.com
Wed Dec 6 15:49:27 GMT 2000

Ok folks. Perhaps someone would be so kind as to explain why it is that this
is happening?

We have a network that uses a samba server for a central storage location.
Most of the machines in our office are Win98SE. But we have a few Windows
2000 machines. Here's where things to very strange. There are 3 Windows 2000
machines.

1: WebDev2
2: Chalice
3: David

1 and 2 are regular tower case compters. 3 is a Laptop. Each runs win2k.
WebDev2 can see the server in the browse list and access all the resources.
Chalice cannot see the server unless an entry exists in the lmhosts file.
Then it can access everything, but still cann't see the machine in the
browse list. David cannot access the machine at all.

Now each machine is using TCP and NetBios over TCP. The Samba server is also
a NAT firewall. WebDev2 is behind the firewall (ip of 10.0.0.151 or
something like that). David and Chalice are in front of the firewall (public
IPs) but still connect to one of the 2 network cards in the samba server.
It's not a permission problem (not that david's ip is being disallowed)
because Chalice is on the same network, and it can access things just fine
(even if it cann't see it in the browse list). Using Chalice I can see the
server just fine using \\server to get a list of resources, as long as I
have the lmhosts file. I can map any resources I want using the browse list
after I use start->run->\\server
Using David, even with a lmhosts file, if I start->run->\\server it will not
see the samba server, nor any of the resources on the server. I have
compared settings between the 2 machines (chalice and david) and can not see
any differences except those that would be expected (different IP, and
different host name)

I'm quite stumped. I hope someone here can help me.