Paradox, BDE and Samba

Jochen Roedenbeck roe at spl-spindel.de
Wed Dec 6 08:42:52 GMT 2000

Martin Sapsed wrote:
> chandra wrote:
> > From looking at the mailing list archives it appears that
> > byte locking issues in samba have never really been
> > resolved.  Byte locking (or record locking) are important
> > for desktop database products such as paradox or other
> > products based on the BDE (Borland Database Engine).  The
> > BDE does things like locking a range of bytes which lie
> > beyond the end of the physical file, which I think is not
> > supported by Samba.  Is this true?  Or have others
> > successfully deployed multi-user paradox or other BDE
> > products connecting to a samba file server?

We are widely using Paradox in our company, and I did not see any
problems caused by Samba.

We do not use OPLOCKS. These things seemed to cause failures.

All other problems we have are bugs of the BDE database engine.
Paradox sometimes crashes, especially if the computer running
Paradox has small memory.

Jochen